Saturday, October 17, 2009

Acer Aspire One

I love my little Acer - but recently had problems with distorted sound - acted like there were memory problems.  The issue came and went - then remained.  It happened with any sound - audio or video playback (youtube - flash - quicktime off of a local file, etc). Even after startup, the windows music would be slow, garbled and distorted.


I did this:
Use the eRecovery tool to reset to factory specs. [Start - Programs - Acer Empowering Technology - Acer eRecovery Management]


But it came back again -


But here's a better solution
What I did to fix it was to go to the HARDWARE part under the SYSTEM options (Control Painel). Under the IDE Controllers part I had PRIMARY IDE and the INTEL one. What I did was right click and select UNINSTALL on the IDE one… When I rebooted the whole machine was way faster, specially sound playback. Under the IDE Controllers I still get the same icons (Primary IDE and the Intel one) but I’m 100% sure that this was the cause of the fix.
Open device manager through control panel > System >



Then dial up IDE Controllers, right click on primary IDE channel and uninstall

A more elegant solution - the behavior leading up to the problem seemed like more of a memory issue - it started again when I was watching several youtube videos over an hour or so