Friday, January 7, 2011

MacBook Not Connecting to Wireless Network FIXED

Following my blue screen of death incident before the end of the year, I upgraded to a MacBook Pro - it's my first foray into the world of Apple computing - and it's been a generally excellent experience so far.  Among other concerns that have been allayed, I have not had a problem accessing files on my networked backup server.


One problem, however, was access to my home wireless network.  It is a Belkin router with WPA encryption enabled. The MacBook accessed it properly earlier - but stopped working entirely a few days ago.


A quick internet search revealed that this is not a unique problem.  I followed a number of basic and advanced self-help guides that included:
  • Start/restart the router and modem
  • Verify the password and encryption settings (use WPA) via ethernet connection to the router (use Explorer or Safari with an ip address of 192.168.1.1 [Linksys] or 192.168.2.1 [Belkin and others]) 
  • Delete existing settings by navigating to Finder-Mac HD-Library-Preferences-System Configuration and delete the files marked airport preferences and network identification - empty the trash and restart the computer => try to log back on to the network
All of that didn't work - AND your PC is accessing the wireless network without a problem?  Don't spend 40 minutes on hold with Apple Care like I did -  change the password.  That's right - I changed the password and was able to log in without a problem.

Maybe it's coincidence, or something that contributed to the problem, but it also helped my Droid X access the wireless router - I had also experienced Wi-Fi conection problems with that device as well.


EDIT - I have also noticed when connecting to a friend's network, etc, a conflict or connectivity problem arises when I try to connect both the macbook and another wireless device such as Wii or Droid.  As explained above, the password change solves it - but I find I have to turn one off if it would be otherwise impolite to ask to change the wireless password.  I have not thoroughly researched the phenomena - or experimented with re-creating it - merely anecdotal observation at this point.

For any questions regarding criminal charges, a law enforcement investigation, United States Attorney grand jury subpoena, federal indictment, computer crimes, white collar criminal (fraud) charges, or any Mecklenburg County state charges, contact the Winiker Law Firm at (704) 750-9212 or info@winikerlaw.com